Thursday, August 18, 2005

Muenster!

I was in the States this past weekend for a family reunion. We spent one morning at a little farmer's market, where I purchased some muenster (pronounced "munster") cheese. For you Canadians, muenster cheese is an incredibly common cheese in the US, much like provolone or havarti here, but for some reason, it is VERY hard to find in Canada, and when it can be found, it is usually quite expensive. I grew up on this stuff (having lived in the US until I was nearly 12), and I always make a point of getting some when I go down there. I got a good-sized chuck of cheese and proceeded to eat it plain, ripping cheese straight off the block.

I know for you Americans that this cheese is absolutely nothing special, but it tastes like childhood to me. I really wish that we had it readily available here in the Great White* North.

*note: though it is definitely "great" and definitely "north", it most certainly isn't "white" here this summer. Youch!

4 Comments:

At 8/18/2005 7:40 PM, Blogger Jen14221 said...

I like meunster but I like it sliced thin at the deli. I can't imagine eating it in chunks. Blargh.

 
At 8/19/2005 12:34 AM, Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

I don't think I have ever had it.

 
At 8/21/2005 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

muenster rocks my world.

 
At 10/21/2005 7:49 PM, Blogger Illusional disfunction said...

it is by far my favorite cheese. the only one i can eat so much of till im sick and still enjoy it. you cant get it in Muenster Germany though...isnt that wierd?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home