Wednesday, July 13, 2005

A Grilled Cheese Test

I have been making my grilled cheese the same way for awhile: sourdough, goat cheese, red peppers. This weekend I bought a portabello spread and decided to give that a try. When I looked at the jar I saw that it was not a spread but a "sauce and dip" and I was a little worried that it would be too liquidy for the sandwich, but it turned out pretty well. The flavor was rich but not overwhelming. Unfortunately, I went a little overboard with the goat cheese on this one so it wasn't a perfect grilled cheese sandwich, but it came pretty close. You can't mess up cheese and bread too badly.

7 Comments:

At 7/13/2005 10:24 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I know you live across the continent, but can I come over for lunch?

 
At 7/13/2005 10:56 AM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

I've never had a grilled goat cheese sandwich. I must say, the bread looks like it's grilled perfectly. A-

 
At 7/13/2005 11:49 AM, Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

Everyone is invited for lunch for as long as the panini maker holds out. That's really the key to excellent grilled cheese. I researched panini makers for awhile before I finally chose one. This one has flat surfaces and the lid height is adjustable and it swivels so that no matter how tall your sandwich is, the top grill is flat.

 
At 7/14/2005 12:56 PM, Blogger Jen14221 said...

I like a nice grilled cheese (swiss and thinly sliced pear or green apple) on corn bread. I also use light mayo instead of butter on the outside of the bread. TASTY.
Yours looks good too, even though I don't like mushrooms.

 
At 7/14/2005 7:16 PM, Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

My husband like mayo on the outside instead of butter, too. I don't put anything on the outside when I use the panini maker.

 
At 7/28/2005 6:18 PM, Blogger Mind Sprite said...

I like using rustic bread with cheddar cheese and sprinkling parmesan cheese on the outside before grilling in olive oil and butter. Damn, now I'm hungry again!

 
At 7/28/2005 6:25 PM, Blogger Mind Sprite said...

p.s. The red peppers looked like melted gummy worms to me. I had to take a closer look at the ingredients picture to find out what they really were. Much better choice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home